From my work, I often receive the question of “How to boost neighbors WiFi signal? He shares the WiFi with me but I just can connect to it at several locations”. Well, if that is your case, this post is for you, keep reading.
A Wi-Fi Range Extender can boost neighbors WiFi signal
There are so many Wi-Fi Extender out there, but Netgear N300 Wi-Fi Range Extender is one of the best wireless router range extenders that I prefer. A Wi-Fi Range Extender is used to extend WiFi signal to dead zones in a home environment. Netgear N300 comes with a lot of impressive features, it is designed to boost neighbors WiFi signal for you.
For this guide, I suppose you have been shared a Wi-Fi network from your neighbor. That means you know your neighbor’s Wi-Fi password. Let’s do the configuration stuff through the following steps:
1. Place the extenderNETGEAR recommends that you place the extender near the neighbor’s router during initial setup. Then move it farther away from the router as needed to increase the area that has a WiFi signal.
In this case, I recommend you to place the extender at the location that you can connect to your neighbor’s network normally. You can take a visit to your neighbor, then both can have a beer together, why not.
2. Switch on The Wi-Fi Extender
- Remove the Wi-Fi Extender from the box (if you have not done)
- Take the Extender to the area that you can connect to the neighbor’s Wi-Fi network normally
- Plug the extender into a power outlet
- Wait for a few seconds for the power LED light to turn green; if it doesn’t, press the On/Off button until the power light is green as we expect
3. Connect the Wi-Fi Extender to Wireless Router
In this step, you can use one of the following two methods:
Connect with WPS button
This is the easiest way to boost neighbors WiFi signal, but sometimes it doesn’t work if the extender and the router come from the different vendor.
Wi-Fi Protected Setup (WPS) lets you connect the extender to a secure WiFi network without typing the network name and password. The WPS button is a physical button on the router or access point.
Remember, WPS does not support WEP network security. If your neighbor’s router is using WEP security, please consider the second method.
Here we go:
- Press the WPS button on the side panel of the extender
- Within two minutes, ask your neighbor to press the WPS button on the router. When the WPS LED and the Router Link LED on the extender lights solid green, then the extender is connected to your existing WiFi network
- Now it’s time to connect your devices to the extender. The extender’s wireless network name (SSID) changes to your existing WiFi network name, with _EXT at the end of the name
- Existing WiFi network name: Peter
- New extended network name: Peter_EXT
Connect with NETGEAR genie Smart Setup
To boost neighbors WiFi signal, you can use a laptop (or a computer that can connect to Wi-Fi network) to set up. Just follow the steps bellow:
1. Use a WiFi network manager on a computer or mobile device to find and connect to the extended WiFi network. After the connection with the computer or mobile device is established, the Client Link LED lights solid green.Tips: Under the Available Network, you will find NETGEAR_EXT, highlight it and click Connect.
2. Open your internet browser, it takes you directly to NETGEAR genie smart setup page. If you are not automatically directed to NETGEAR genie, just type www.mywifiext.net in the address bar and hit the Enter button.
3. In the new window that appears, click New Extender Setup.
4. In the form that appears, create your Netgear account by filling in your details as required, and click Next.
5. In the next screen that appears (with a list of Wi-Fi networks near you), select your neighbor’s Wi-Fi network and click Next.
6. Next screen will prompt you to enter Wi-Fi password, enter the correct password as you get from your neighbor and click Next.
7. The next screen that appears is where you create SSID name and password for your Wi-Fi Extender – It will be your Wi-Fi network like the one you get from a wireless router. Make sure to use an SSID name and password that you can remember easily. For the SSID name of the Netgear extender, you can add a ‘_EXT’ after the name that you choose so that you will always identify it easily among the other networks. After you have created a name and password, click NEXT.
8. The next screen will give you a message about your Wi-Fi rates, click OK.
9. Your Wi-Fi Extender setup process is done and now you can connect your devices to it.
4. Last step
Unplug the extender and move it to a new location closer to the area with a poor WiFi signal. The location you choose must be within the range of your neighbor’s existing WiFi network.Keep in mind that, the extender has Receive Sensitivity better than your normal devices, so in some place, where your device can not connect, the extender still works.
Your Netgear N300 Wi-Fi Range Extender is now fully setup and you can now use it to access Wi-Fi signals from different locations within and outside your house depending on how you optimize the Wi-Fi strength.
That’s all the steps you need to boost neighbors WiFi signal.
Bonus: How To Boost Your Netgear Range Extender Performance
The overall performance a range extender depends on a number of factors, most of which you can control to fully optimize the performance of your range extender. Here are the best practices that will assist you to extend further your Wi-Fi signals using Netgear N300:
1. Locate the Best Position
The position where you place your Wi-Fi extender will significantly affect areas that it can serve. To locate the best location for your Wi-Fi extender, walk with it to a place or a room that is most dead spot and don’t get enough Wi-Fi signals from your wireless router. Plug the Netgear N300 to a power source and wait to see the light turn green.
To know whether your extender is getting enough Wi-Fi signal from the neighbor’s router, check the color of Router Arrow LED:
- Solid green. Best connection.
- Solid amber. Good connection.
- Solid red. Poor connection.
- Off. No connection.
Please use the following picture for your reference:
2. Ask your neighbor to move the wireless router closer to your house
If you have been doing everything, but the performance does not change, you can alway ask your neighbor for help.
Finally, in this post of “How to boost neighbors wifi signal”, I mainly deal with technical steps. if you want, you can find more information about it on Netgear website here. And of course, you can always purchase Netgear N300 Wi-Fi Ranger Extender from Amazon, it is a highly rated, well-priced and available to ship immediately.